Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity progress info

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity progress info
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:42:02 -0500

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Antono Vasiljev
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there any possibility to get progres info from running duplicity
> process? I would like to implement simple gui tool for duplicity
> and i missing something like  --progress option of wget.

Hello, Antono!

There is such a way.  It's only in CVS HEAD right now.  But first, a
bit of background:

I've been writing such a simple gui tool for duplicity for a few
months now [1].  As part of this, I've been adding parsable logging
support into duplicity (see --log-fd and --log-file).  The log-fd work
is in duplicity 0.5.03.

If testing with --log-fd, you may find it easiest to do something
like:  "(duplicity --log-fd=10 1>/dev/null 2>&1) 10>&1"  which puts
normal duplicity output into /dev/null, and your log output to stdout.
 So you can easily see what your wrapper gets.

But back to progress info.  In CVS HEAD, there are (once-per-volume)
notices that are sent, with how many bytes have been processed.  If
you are restoring, that's all you need.  If you're backing up, you
first need to run duplicity with the --dry-run option to see the total
number of bytes, and then do your normal run.

[1]  Déjà Dup: http://launchpad.net/deja-dup

If you look at Déjà Dup and like the direction it's going, please join
in (http://launchpad.net/~deja-dup-hackers)!  There's plenty of work
to do (see bug list).  :)

If it's not your thing, I hope the work I've done makes it easier for you.  :)

-mt