[Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg "no public key", but only when run from cron

From: Steve Madsen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg "no public key", but only when run from cron
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:37:17 -0500

After much trial and error, I have finally solved this problem.

It turns out that FreeBSD's global /etc/crontab sets HOME=/var/log. It doesn't point to the true home directory of the user for a particular job. GPG obediently used this $HOME and created an empty keyring in /var/log/.gnupg, which of course did not contain the public key I told Duplicity to use. Thus the error, and why I could not duplicate the error when I ran it by hand or through root's crontab.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Even though they didn't solve the problem, they gave me just enough confidence that my scripts were fine and something else was weird in my environment.

--
Steve Madsen <address@hidden>
Light Year Software, LLC  http://lightyearsoftware.com