[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity emerge on gentoo (problem)

From: Jonathon Donaldson
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity emerge on gentoo (problem)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:34:00 -0600

My system is gentoo linux 2.6.20 #7 (vanilla).  I recently emerged the
duplicity tool.

When I first installed it and attempted to execute it I received the
following error:

# duplicity -v9
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 29, in <module>
   from duplicity import collections, commandline, diffdir, dup_temp, \
ImportError: No module named duplicity

I figured that I was missing some dependency or something and I
finally figured out the problem.  The reason duplicity was not working
was because python could not find the installed duplicity module.  I
first checked for the duplicity module in my python install directory
like so:

# ls -R /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity: No such
file or directory

It was not installed there.  I then noticed that I had two version of
python installed (2.4 and 2.5).  So, naturally, I ran:

# ls -R /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity
<a whole bunch of files were listed>

Okay, so it's installed for python v2.4 but not 2.5.  Hmmm...so I wonder:

# ls /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 19 05:00 /usr/bin/python -> python2.5*

So even though the symlink is (and was) pointing to python v2.5 when I
installed duplicity, duplicity was still installed for the older
version of python.

Just to be sure that duplicity really would work with the old version
of python I changed the symlink to point to python2.4 instead - and
duplicity worked great.

So I know how to fix the bug, the only thing is I would like to put
the symbolic link back the way it was (pointing to python2.5).  How
can I do that and still get duplicity to use python2.4?

The gentoo emerge tool tells me that I have dependencies for both
python 2.4 and 2.5 so I don't want to uninstall either of them
permanently.

I tried copying & pasting the duplicity module files from the
python2.4 site-packages directory and into the python2.5 site-package
directory and (as I expected) python spits out a ton of errors (when I
try to run duplicity) about the duplicity modules having been built
with an older (2.4) API and that duplicity will not work with 2.5.

I figured out the major bug but I need some help on this little one.
That is, how can I point the python symlink back to python2.5 and
still have duplicity work?  Can anyone offer some help with this?
Please. :-)

Thanks!

--
Jonathon