Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restore Question

From: Jon
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restore Question
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:21:48 -0300

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Jon wrote:
Hello,

I have somehow lost the knowledge on how to perform a restore with
Duplicity. I recall doing a test restore some weeks ago and after some
moderate mucking about, I figured it out. Sadly, I did not document it
and now it appears that I have become so old that I cannot recall what I
did.

Duplicity status shows me (snipped);

Thu Jun  1 23:59:24 2006 Documents/personal/eht1
Tue May 23 08:42:30 2006 Documents/personal/me.asc
Fri Jun 16 10:36:30 2006 Documents/personal/secondcup
Sat Mar 22 10:10:24 2008 Documents/personal/signature.gif
Thu Jun 12 10:04:45 2008 Documents/personal/signpermit.pdf

I want to restore the personal directory to 07Sep08 and am attempting to
do so as such:

duplicity scp://address@hidden/home/jdw/Documents/personal
/home/jdw/Documents/personal/07sep08

Which follows the example on the man page:

duplicity scp://address@hidden/some_dir /home/me

Which is an attempt to restore the personal dir into the local 07sep08
dir. However, no manner of twisting the restore command will work for
me. I receive:

Remote file or directory 'home/jdw/Documents/personal' does not exist

I think what you need is:
duplicity scp://address@hidden//home/jdw/Documents/personal

Note the double slash in '//home' - this makes it an absolute pathname
on the remote system rather than relative to your home directory.

I got it. My remote system has the tarballs in a hostname directory. So, my command:

duplicity scp://address@hidden/hostname 07sep08

Is doing a full restore into the 07sep08 directory at the moment and I imagine I can muck with it to restore individual files/dirs now that I have the missing link...

Thanks,

Jon

--
Jon Watson, CD, Linux+