[Duplicity-talk] Strange problem

From: Dean Smith
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Strange problem
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:33:03 +0100

Running duplicity 0.4.10 on Centos 5 occasionally I have a problem where backups stop working.

They'll be fine for a month or so, running a full backup once a week and incremental twice a day.

Then everything will stop working and I get the following errors

Incremental backup
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 463, in ?
   with_tempdir(main)
 File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 458, in with_tempdir
   fn()
 File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 451, in main
   incremental_backup(sig_chain)
 File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 186, in incremental_backup
bytes_written = write_multivol("inc", tarblock_iter, globals.backend)
 File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 87, in write_multivol
   globals.gpg_profile,globals.volsize)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/gpg.py", line 213, in GPGWriteFile
   data = block_iter.next(bytes_to_go).data
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/diffdir.py", line 407, in next
   result = self.process(self.input_iter.next(), size)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/diffdir.py", line 487, in process
   data, last_block = self.get_data_block(fp, size - 512)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/diffdir.py", line 508, in get_data_block
   buf = fp.read(read_size)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/diffdir.py", line 338, in read
   buf = self.infile.read(length)
IOError: [Errno 3] No such process

The only way, I've found, to fix it is to manually delete all files on the destination sftp host then everything is fine again. The last incremental backup before this occurs completed successfully.

I've a couple of questions.

Does anyone have any idea what this is, looks to me like GPG might be dying ?

If I upgrade, to see if that fixes things, will my backup sets still be compatible ?

Thanks

Dean

--
Dean Smith