Re: [Duplicity-talk] command for default behavior?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] command for default behavior?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 06:33:32 -0500

Dan Gomet wrote:
> OK, I'm going by the manual installed in Ubuntu here; perhaps that's not
> fully up to date, but
>
> * no restore command is documented (just like --time-separator, vital for USB
> stick backups, is available but not documented)
>
> * for incr, the manual says "If this is requested an incremental backup  will
>  be  performed. Duplicity will  abort  if  old signatures cannot be found.
> The default is to switch to full backup under these conditions." So, "the
> default" and incr are *not* the same thing. Even if they were the same thing,
> it'd be nice (for symmetry reasons, for safety, as well as scripting
> purposes) to provide an actual command.
>
> I actually like duplicity a lot -- that's why I'm making these usability
> suggestions.

Guess I need to work on the manual a bit.  --time-separator was never
really functional in the original and was not documented.  The intent
was to use --short-filenames instead.

As to the idea of default backup/restore commands -- that's actually a
good idea from the usability standpoint.  Restore exists and adding a
backup command to act as default would increase readability.  It would
still have to be optional to support the existing scripts.

...Ken