[Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity Command Line

From: Andreas Schildbach
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity Command Line
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:15:25 +0200

Hi Kenneth,

> What I propose to do is make the command line like such:
>   duplicity [action] [options] [source] target

Great proposal! I was going to suggest something very similar, but I did
not dare because of the number of requests I made.

> One other consideration is 'remove-older-than'.  This action removes
> full backup sets.  One option that we need is a way to remove outdated
> incremental backups, i.e. incremental backups outdated by the next full
> backup.  I'm not quite sure if I want to implement this as an option to
> remove-older-than, or as a separate action.

I have thought about that, too. The upside would be that duplicity would
only need to be invoked once / in one way for a fully blown
low-administration regular backup job. The downside is that it feels
strange that a "create backup" command would have an option to remove
backups.

One thing to consider in this context is if and which options could be
externalized to a configuration file (e.g. /etc/defaults/duplicity) or
an env variable. I'd really like to configure my backend only once, not
needing to type it again and again for each invocation. Other options
that spring to mind is encryption key handling, includes/excludes and
filename format related options (as long as this is still needed/supported).

Regards,

Andreas