[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity Command Line

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity Command Line
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:55:09 -0500

OK, I've been rereading all of the past mail and I think I understand
most of the problems with understanding the command line.

Even though the previous man page documented 'actions' as 'options', the
code was never written that way.  In reality, we have one and only one
'action' performed for each duplicity run (full, inc, verify, cleanup,
etc.).  Adding additional actions did not cause that action to be
performed (and it was not treated as an error).  It depended on the
hierarchy of the code and was poorly documented, causing a lot of confusion.

What I propose to do is make the command line like such:
  duplicity [action] [options] [source] target

i.e.
  duplicity source targetURL
  duplicity sourceURL target
  duplicity cleanup targetURL
  duplicity remove-older-than 1M targetURL

The action will be one of the defined actions, sans any leading '-'
(full or in assumed depending on the state of the collection).  The
options will have the standard '-' for short options and '--' for long
options.  Thus, there will be 3 positional parameters and the rest
option parameters.

One other consideration is 'remove-older-than'.  This action removes
full backup sets.  One option that we need is a way to remove outdated
incremental backups, i.e. incremental backups outdated by the next full
backup.  I'm not quite sure if I want to implement this as an option to
remove-older-than, or as a separate action.

Hopefully, this proposal will clear up the confusion.  Comments?

...Ken