Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 getting started

From: Duane Winner
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 getting started
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:37:51 -0400

mike wrote:
On 6/20/07, Duane Winner <address@hidden> wrote:
What is the URL I should be using at s3+http://xxxx ?

Should it be "s3+http://s3.amazonaws.com";?

I believe that it is the bucket name...

so it would be s3+http://duanes-backup

I believe it understands the s3.amazonaws.com stuff internally as part
of the s3+http handler. I don't have any old commands I ran so i can't
tell for sure, but that's what I recall.

(People typically probably leave out the bucket name for privacy
purposes, since you can access buckets by name and depending on the
bucket security it could be viewable by anyone)

Thanks everybody for your help!

I now have been able to do successful proof-of-concept tests for both rsync.net and S3. (Using RC7 btw...)

Now the tough part -- deciding which one to use for our enterprise backups. I'm leaning heavily towards rsync.net, well, just because I feel like it's my civic duty to support the FreeBSD guys the way they seem to support FreeBSD. But of course it all comes down to political and business decisions here which I may or may not have any control over. Also, next on the agenda is looking into Amazon Web Services EC2 to see if it is a viable solution to virtualize our web and database servers. This should be fun. So depending on where that goes, that may influence the decision of who to use for backup storage.

Just FYI: for those of you using S3, I stumbled across this really neat Firefox plugin:

http://www.rjonna.com/ext/s3fox.php

I was having a heck of time getting my arms around S3 and visualizing the organization and storage concepts. This goes a long way towards helping out on that end and I can also see it's value in maintenance of S3 accounts.

Thanks again,
DW