Re: [Duplicity-talk] Preventing access time modification?

From: Steven Willoughby
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Preventing access time modification?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:27:43 -0600

Charles Duffy wrote:
Peter Schuller wrote:
One problem with changing it *back* is that you inherently introduce a
race condition with other processes. If we allow for applications
depending on atime in non-obvious ways, the potential consequences of
atime moving *backwards* as opposed to unnecessarily forward could
potentially be worse.

So do like rsync does: Create the file under a hidden, temporary name; change the time back; and then, when you're done, move it to its final name as an atomic operation.

I don't think that approach would work in this scenario. The atime of the original file would be changed when you read it in order to get the data to create the original file.

Steven