[Duplicity-talk] TotalDestinationSizeChange

From: Fabiano Bonin
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] TotalDestinationSizeChange
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:48:00 -0300

Hi,

Can you help me to analyze this duplicity log?

I started to use duplicity to backup my stuff in rsync.net, and i'm
concerned with the space it will use.

Yesterday, i did a full backup of 6 big files.
They are all large database files.
Today, all these files were changed and i did a duplicity incremental backup.
Just for comparision, i have a native tool that comes with the
database that generates delta files with the data changed since some
point, just like duplicity does, i suppose.
I generated the delta file since yesterday using this native tool, and
the size of this file is about 8MB.
Looking at the logs below, i see duplicity delta file has 5,6MB, it
means it's making a better job than the native tool, am i right?
But, looking at destination size change, i see an increment of almost
100MB in the backup storage space.

Is it expected?
Is there some reason for this to happen?
And, more important, can i change this somehow?

Regards,

Fabiano.

--------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
StartTime 1181655768.35 (Tue Jun 12 10:42:48 2007)
EndTime 1181655959.09 (Tue Jun 12 10:45:59 2007)
ElapsedTime 190.74 (3 minutes 10.74 seconds)
SourceFiles 13
SourceFileSize 1951396410 (1.82 GB)
NewFiles 1
NewFileSize 4096 (4.00 KB)
DeletedFiles 0
ChangedFiles 6
ChangedFileSize 1951371264 (1.82 GB)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 7
RawDeltaSize 5877233 (5.60 MB)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 104697158 (99.8 MB)
Errors 0