Fwd: [Duplicity-talk] Backup of socksets

From: dAniel hAhler
Subject: Fwd: [Duplicity-talk] Backup of socksets
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:21:32 +0200

On 5/12/07, Alex Jakushev wrote:
There's actually another side of the problem to it. I use duplicity
from cron, and if something gets onto stderr, i get a mail
notification. Every time I run duplicity, it prints "Error initializing ..."
to stderr, and every time I get e-mail, even if everything is OK.

I've made a patch to fix this. Instead of a warning, there's no only a
debug message (at level 7, default is 3) and it says "Skipping socket"
explicitly.

See https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/index.php?5985

I tried to avoid this problem this way:

1) one of parameters for duplicity was
   --exclude-globbing-filelist somefile,
  where somefile contains one full filename
  per line.
2) This file has many entries, soem of them are
  files, some of them are pipes or sockets.

The problem with trying to exclude it is that the call to
check_common_error() in robust.py gets done before any file get
excluded.
I've looked into catching/ignoring it there already, but that would
prevent the exception that gets thrown if you try to only backup a
socket. This is a "corner case" of course, but the current patch fixes
this less instrusive IMHO.