Re: [Duplicity-talk] recover from aborted backup

From: sophana
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] recover from aborted backup
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:39:05 +0100

Travis H. a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 08:10:10AM +0100, sophana wrote:
>
>> This patch works fine, broken transfers are restarted. But it does not
>> prevent data corruption.
>>

> Most protocols do not, since it is handled at the TCP/IP layer.
>
> The checksums are not perfect (changing 0xFFFF to 0x0000 will pass
> the check due to one's-complement arithmetic), but it usually works.

Some ftp servers now have the XCRC or XMD5 command to verify integrity.
This would be very nice to have.
Rsync is reliable because it is checksum based.
>> I think that when the connection is bad, and you need to restart the
>> transfer multiple times, it is probable that the data gets corrupted
>> (with ftp).
>>

> Are you using vsftpd by any chance?  Because I've found what apparently
> are race conditions in that server which lead to non-deterministic
> data corruption.
>
> I've been meaning to write a "add redundancy to any file" filter at
> some point with lots of configuration options.  There's plenty of tools
> which do CRCs anyway, but it's usually also required to put it in a
> particular format, which is not very "Unixy".

Redundancy is also a good idea. The standard tool I have in mind is the
one used for binary newsgroups: par files allows that some archives are
missing, it can reconstruct the missing data. Associated with a multiple
server storage, you get efficient redundant backup.
This also would be very nice to have.
Dibs distributed backup system has such similar features.