drm-elimination-crew

Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Welcome to the DRM Elimination Crew! Introduc

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Welcome to the DRM Elimination Crew! Introductions and an important question
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 12:52:02 +0200

Marcos Marado <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Boycotting is only effective with mass support that we can't really
> > expect.

Maybe we can organize the opposite of a boycott of the bad guys: A
grassroots-driven promotion campaign for good (enjoyable and DRM-free)
commercial digital cultural goods? I'm thinking of some kind of social
media recommendations platform.

> The only way I see is from the legal prespective. Breaking DRM
> shouldn't be illegal.

Here in Switzerland we have the rule that breaking DRM is legal if it
is done for a purpose that is allowed by law.

Any legal system which doesn't at least have this exception to the
prohibition of DRM circumvention is IMO in violation of Article 27 of
the Universial Declaration of Human Rights and Article 15 of the
International Covenant on Economics, Social and Cultural Rights.

Greetings,
Norbert