drm-elimination-crew

Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Welcome to the DRM Elimination Crew! Introduc

From: Eric Mill
Subject: Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Welcome to the DRM Elimination Crew! Introductions and an important question
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:22:41 -0400

To my mind, the thing that has kept audio the most DRM-free space out there (relatively speaking) is simply that there are successful DRM-free services. I know right now we seem to be moving to a cloud-y space (Spotify, Rdio, Pandora), but if Amazon and Bandcamp hadn't set up successful services that exerted market pressure both on Apple and on the music industry, I think the situation would be a lot worse today.

Amazon MP3's entire modus operandi at launch was to provide a viable DRM-free alternative to iTunes, but I don't think they're still around *because* they're DRM-free. Since Apple started offering DRM-free music in response to Amazon, that's not been much of a competitive advantage, and they still do well enough. Plus, Amazon's role in ebooks suggests they are not exactly super emotional about eliminating DRM.

Bandcamp's success is more important, because it's an example of a service built entirely on self-publishing. It can ignore the pressure of contracting content from the larger industry. DRM-free helps, but their success is more obviously driven by how extremely friendly their payment structure and featureset are to artists. Not to mention: they do a great job. Their site is beautiful, their dev team is energetic and experimental, and their social features are unusually well executed.

This isn't really direct action, but I'd like to see high quality (read: well executed, beautiful, practical, showing signs of growth) services arise for direct distribution of things besides audio. I literally can't think of any. You guys know this space so well, I'm sure you can point me to a dozen services I'm not thinking of.

But Indie Game: The Movie is a high profile example of direct video distribution, and they still had to roll their own high-quality website to sell their film, set up their own CloudFront account, etc. Googling around, maybe Chill would do that sort of thing for video now, they only pivoted to this late last year.

I think in the absence of mass support for boycotts, which I agree is implausible, we should form competing marketplaces that take advantage of the lack of DRM, and support those that exist.

-- Eric