RE: [DotGNU]IKVM custom attributes

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]IKVM custom attributes
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 13:26:36 +0200

Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> On Thursday 01 May 2003 08:18 pm, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> > Hi Rhys,
> >
> > I looked at the custom attributes I use in IKVM.NET and
> wrote a little
> > bit about them. Some aren't relevant for a Java source to
> IL compiler
> > and there may be scenarios that I missed. At least it's
> something to
> > get started with.
>
> Looks good.  Would it be possible to move the classes into a
> separate namespace, out of the global one, to reduce the
> chance that they may overlap with something else out there?

Absolutely. Do you have any suggestions for the namespace? Something
like OpenSystem.Java.Metadata, for example.

> I suggest "OpenSystem.Java", to match the "OpenSystem.C" that
> we currently use in the pnet C compiler.

Sounds good.

> I assume that there is some enum class for the modifiers used
> by "ModifiersAttribute"?

Yes, we should probably include that as well.

> And perhaps "IKVMAssemblyAttribute"
> can be renamed "JavaAssemblyAttribute"?  (Just fine-tuning -
> feel free to say no :-) ).

Yes. I was just documenting the current attributes, obviously it would
be a good idea to rename the attributes if they are used outside of
IKVM.

> I agree.  "OpenSystem.Java.dll"?  We can add this to pnetlib
> easily enough, to support the standalone Java compiler.

OK. I will move the attributes that are not IKVM specific into a
separate assembly named OpenSystem.Java.dll.

Regards,
Jeroen