Re: [DotGNU]Concept: Box files

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Concept: Box files
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:47:28 -0500

Peter Minten wrote:
Rhys Weatherley wrote:
In the case of "download and run" scenarios, the assemblies
already act as a kind of .jar file, so I'm not sure that a
.box format would really help us.

Can support files like mp3 or jpeg be build into the assembly? With the box
system these files can be build in a simple package that is like an executable
for the user (since the user can invoke the binaries in it with a single command
'box --run file.box').

I'd like to remind anyone interested in working on this that Portable .NET assemblies and JavaTM .jar files are not the only executable programs to be delivered through the DotGNU platform. The plug-in architecture should not rely on any special PE-specific format.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://dotgnu.org

I don't care. What they're doing is evil. I can't support evil.
Good-bye.
        -- RMS to Sam Williams, author of "Free as in Freedom", on
        his publisher's wish to publish it as a non-free e-book