Re: [DotGNU]IBM, Microsoft plot Net takeover

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IBM, Microsoft plot Net takeover
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:04:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Barry Fitzgerald <address@hidden> wrote:
> Bill Lance wrote:
> > >       1) Fight the patent
> > >
> > That's not to likely to be productive.
> >

> Well, that depends on whether or not there is prior
> art.  If there is,
> then their patent is invalid.  Since SOAP is a
> derivitive of other
> transports - I'm willing to bet that there is
> significant prior art.
> The trick beyond that is getting a legal fund and a
> lawyer to beat the
> patent.  If we absolutely have to implement SOAP,
> it's an option.

Humm.  Does anyone here have a real life tested
example of a patent actually being invalideated by
prior art?  I know that's the theory.  But the patent
applicant/holder has every reason to hide and obscure
prior art.  And being an administrative rather than a
true legal forum, I would think that even more so than
criminal law, the 'truth' is determined by who has the
most money.  And, of course, the significance of this
is obvious with MS involved.  They bought off the
entire Bush administration and the DOJ in only a few
short months