Re: [DotGNU]IBM, Microsoft plot Net takeover

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IBM, Microsoft plot Net takeover
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 17:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Barry Fitzgerald <address@hidden> wrote:

> If SOAP becomes patent encumbered we have two
>
>       1) Fight the patent

That's not to likely to be productive.

>       2) Not use SOAP
>
> Which is done by the community depends on how
> important SOAP becomes.  I
> suspect that patent encumbering SOAP will only kill
> SOAP over time.

If MapPoint is an example of the  pricing, it's likely
to be a lot quicker than 'over time'.  What amazes me
about the Hailstorm fiasco is that MS seemed to invest
so heavily in the model with what, in hind site, must
have been NO competent market research into it's real
demand.