Re: [DotGNU]Where can I learn about DotGNU vs Mono

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Where can I learn about DotGNU vs Mono
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:02:43 +0530

If memory serves me right, Eric Altendorf wrote:

> my roommates decided it would be cool to not pay AT&T so our cable
> modem was shut off yesterday. :-P

LOL ! (My ISP has gone down today , seems like a DoS).

> If I were to contribute, I'd want to better understand the differences
> in philosophical motivations behind each project (to see which I believe

IMHO our philosophical motivation is obvious --- to prevent a monopoly
by Microsoft on the internet. I really don't understand Mono's philosophy
to talk about it. (But Miguel's interview on MSDN proves one fact, Microsoft
isn't afraid of Mono).

> in), and the business/deployment plan and development progress of each

See DotGNU BIZPLAN mailing list archives (/me has not looked into that, as
I'm no business guy) -- But DotGNU is sponsored by FreeDevelopers.NET , which
*is* a business establishment.

IIRC, Phpgroupware which is part of DotGNU's webservices is a very popular
and well supported.

> (to see which I think has the better chance of being a competitor to .NET
> soon),

Did you mean a C# development platform by the word ".NET" ?. We plan to
compete on each & every level of .NET , starting from our foundation of
GNU/Linux and going on the build the tools as well as the framework  --
By the words framework , I mean the various services like "Passport",
"MyServices".....

The word "soon" takes a new color here -- we are going in for the whole
deal . Obviously we will take more time at the current pace ,to replace
.NET completely . But as far as the C# development platform is considered,
I think the race is still not over by a long shot.

> and the technical differences (to see which is focusing on the
> kinds of work I might be interested in).  :-)

        We have all sorts of work -- we're not just limited to C#.
DotGNU is a very large project . Pnet is just what we have in
common to Mono. What we do is "replace" .NET . One of our steps
is "providing a free C# development environment" , it is a means
and not an end (unlike Mono).

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success