[DotGNU]Portable.NET update 19 Jan 2002

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Portable.NET update 19 Jan 2002
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:25:37 +1000

I've spent the past week pounding through C# compiler bugs
and missing features.  I'm hoping to have most of the core
expressions, statements, and class structures working soon.

My main goal in life at the moment is to get the compiler to
the point of compiling pnetlib natively on GNU/Linux, so
we can break the dependency on MS tools and so that lots
more people can help contribute C# code to the cause.

No official release this week.  Probably next week.  All of
the latest changes can be obtained from the CVS server
on Savannah.  Also check out the "cscctest" module to
perform regression tests on the compiler.

LinuxWorld is coming up at the end of the month, and
DotGNU will have a presence there (I won't be able to
make it unfortunately).  I should be able to get the C#
compiler to the stage of compiling reasonable example
programs by then, even if pnetlib isn't fully bootstrapped.

I'm giving a "Work in Progress" presentation at the
linux.conf.au conference in Brisbane in early February.
So, Aussie DotGNU supporters may be interested in
coming along to that.  See "http://www.linux.conf.au";
for further details.

Help wanted: we need some cool demos to show off at
LinuxWorld and linux.conf.au.  We have "Hello World"
and "Curse of Frogger", but we need some other things
too.

The pnet engine and library is mostly limited to command
line stuff at the moment, but don't let that stop you.
By wrapping a command-line program in a CGI script,
you could Web-enable pnet and turn it into a simple
forms processor!

So, rack your brains and see what else we can come
up with.