Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU, Netwerks and GNU Enterprise

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU, Netwerks and GNU Enterprise
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:09:58 +0100

> This is my first message at this list, and I am still figuring out what
> all this DotGNU really is :)

.NET is Microsoft's attempt to leverage their effective monopoly
of the desktop to gain an effective monopoly on some key
services of the internet (such as authentication/authorization
services) which will then allow them to gain control of the market
for server-side software (and they certainly hope to be able to
sell this server-side software as a service, which could be very
lucrative).

DotGNU is a response from Free Software people who want to
prevent the success of Mirosoft's very unethical approach to
webservices by providing a better and totally ethical approach
to webservices.

> I have a doubt: I know something about other free projects, (Netwerks -
> http://www.freedevelopers.net/struct2/netwerks/  and GNU Enterprise -
> http://www.gnuenterprise.org/).

Netwerks and GNU Enterprise have a focus which is different from
the focus of DotGNU.  Those two projects seek to solve (some)
problems of businesses directly, while DotGNU seeks to create a
webservices platform which will allow to solve a wide variety of
problems in an ethical way.

> They are different things, but seem to be somewhat related, althoug I am
> not able to clearly see their relation.
>
> May they be considered subparts of DotGNU? Or are they separated but
> partly overlapping?

They're certainly not "subparts" of DotGNU, although at some stage
some form of cooperation may start to make sense.

> Or perhaps is DotGNU going to replace them?

I'm pretty sure that the netwerks and gnue folks wouldn't want
that to happen.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com