Re: [DotGNU]Building User-Centric Experiences

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Building User-Centric Experiences
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:15:08 +0200

Bill Lance <address@hidden> wrote:

> Anyway, since dotgnu will be compaired to .NET, we
> hope, it may be useful to develop thinking about the
> objective of MS's .NET and how it may contrast with
> dotgnu's objectives.

How about this:

  ".NET is in fact Microsoft's attempt to gain control of the
  internet and its users.  In contrast, the goal of DotGNU is to
  give computer users full freedom to use the internet as they
  want."

?

> Putting aside the philisophical questions (at what
> point does the mediation agent become more valid than
> the meat user? there's a doozy), if MS wants to create
> virtual people, what does dotgnu want to do?  We have
> discussed managing personal data.  Does this
> necessarity require an active digital mediation agent
> to solve?
>
> Another interesting thought is the the subscriber
> controlling the use of his data.  From MS's
> description in the article, is sounds like a policy
> rules based system will need to be used.  Anyonew
> who's messed with firewall rules know about unintended
> effects of interacting policy rules.
>
> How is dotgnu going to approach this problem?

By not endorsing any single approach, but by organising a "horse
race" of several different, reasonable approaches.  It is not
clear at all at this stage to what extent people will really
want to have digital, virtual IDs.  We should give them several
options so that the end users have the freedom of choice.

This is in direct contrast to Microsoft's approach of trying to
force a single system (which is under Microsoft's control) on
everyone.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com