Re: [DotGNU]Web transports

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Web transports
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:58:23 +0200

Rikard Linde <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > http://www.sprinterface.com/webtransports.html
> >
> > What problems of webservice providers, or webservice
> > users does this help solve?
>
> It gives users access to a lot of applications that we
> don't have to produce. If you check the document
>
> http://www.sprinterface.com/webtransports.html
>
> you'll see a list of services that we could connect
> to.

Oops... I must have missed this list the first time I looked at
your page.  (There's something funny going on there... you may
want to check that page with multiple browsers).

> PayPal, different Yahoo! services, mail accounts
> etcetera. The point is to use stuff that's already out
> there and thereby make the platform more valuable to
> users.

Ahh... maybe I get your point now (?)

Do I understand you correctly that you're not talking about Jabber
being a very good choice for a family of protocols to implement such
"web transports", but you're talking about the _strategic_ benefit
to DotGNU (and/or Jabber) of going out of our way to provide very
good support for a good number of popular web services, as a way to
solve (part of) the chicken-and-egg problem of becoming a popular
platform?

After reading http://www.joelonsoftware.com/stories/storyReader$117
(which is linked from your page) I'm now fully convinced that this is
a very important, valid point.  Yes, DotGNU definately needs to have
some form of "web transports".

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com