Re: [DotGNU](no subject)

From: Tali Streit
Subject: Re: [DotGNU](no subject)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:13:38 +1000

At 09:29 AM 18/10/01 +1000, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
Putting serialization in "System.Object" wouldn't be very wise
because there are many different serialization types, each with
their own peculiar requirements.  Microsoft's approach is the
right one from a design patterns point of view: separate the
representation from the serialization.

I figure a default form of serialization would simplify matters dramatically. this would effectively give us the ability for a distributed memberwise clone. All built in types would be covered and the default behaviour for user defined types is to enumerate through the members.

To my understanding, the SOAP related web-service stuff in .NET is handled by the server via the classes in System.Web.Services.WebService namespace. I haven't looked at any of it in great detail either, though.