dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]simplest logon design proposal

From: Albert Scherbinsky
Subject: Re: [Auth]simplest logon design proposal
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:21:27 -0400

Rhys Weatherley wrote:

> Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>
> > Has any work been done on making the address standards
> > work with all countries.
> >
> > For example, very few countries have "states".  Most countries
> > have "provinces"... others have different names for them.  Also,
> > not everywhere calls it a "Postal Code", some places call it a
> > "Zip Code".
> >
> > Has anyone considered how this would work in a country-independent
> > fashion?  (I'm pretty sure that making it work in all countries
> > is not as simple as changing the names either!!!)
>
> Be afraid.  Be very afraid.  Postal address stuff is a
> mess.  However, there are a number of ISO and IETF
> standards (e.g. vCard) that attempt to address this
> problem.  It is probably better to adopt their conventions
> than come up with yet another way of doing it.  We can
> say "go see RFC XXXX for the details" and leave it at that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rhys.

Thanks for the input.
Time to go wading through some more specs. :)

Albert

--
Albert Scherbinsky
Drop by at: http://members.home.net/alberts/

Convenient control of our personal information:
Single Login:
http://members.home.net/alberts/single.htm
Simple Interface Markup Language:
http://members.home.net/alberts/siml.htm