dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]simplest logon design proposal

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Auth]simplest logon design proposal
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:40:55 +1000

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Has any work been done on making the address standards
> work with all countries.
>
> For example, very few countries have "states".  Most countries
> have "provinces"... others have different names for them.  Also,
> not everywhere calls it a "Postal Code", some places call it a
> "Zip Code".
>
> Has anyone considered how this would work in a country-independent
> fashion?  (I'm pretty sure that making it work in all countries
> is not as simple as changing the names either!!!)

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.  Postal address stuff is a
mess.  However, there are a number of ISO and IETF
standards (e.g. vCard) that attempt to address this
problem.  It is probably better to adopt their conventions
than come up with yet another way of doing it.  We can
say "go see RFC XXXX for the details" and leave it at that.

Cheers,

Rhys.