using XDPS backend to display NextOpenStep apps remotely

From: Ondrej Florian
Subject: using XDPS backend to display NextOpenStep apps remotely
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:32:17 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am working on integrating the Next emulator (http://previous.alternative-system.com/)
into the GSDE  (https://github.com/onflapp/gs-desktop).

I understand the original Next/OpenStep could display apps remotely (I guess that's where NXHost arg comes from).
Does anyone know how this actually worked?
Could it be possible to use XDPS backed for for that?

My hope is that I could run the Next emulator "headless" and display the original apps along side GNUstep apps in the same desktop (plus bridging pasteboard etc. ;-).
Kind of like how the classic mode worked on OS X.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Ondrej