Re: Consider GtkCore as UI

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Consider GtkCore as UI
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 10:39:45 +0100

Hi Albert,

Albert Palacios wrote:
> The themes only work if they are pixel-based and do not change the
> spacing or positioning of the elements, meaning you have a 90s
> application with condensed elements and background textures, whereas now
> the trend is towards spaced elements, flat colors, rounded contours, and
> transparencies (yes, I know that for transparency you need a suitable
> compositor...).

there is some truth in this. Certain GUI parts are inflexible. Even if
thinking of the standard theme, we are unable to change properly the
elements.

I have an old iBook, it has a big but low-resolution 800x600 screen.
Next a ThinkPad with a Hi-Res (even if not really "Retina") display. The
menus and decorations compared almost double in size.

We currently don't properly "scale" elements. I want to be able to use a
bigger font in menus and look the same. Windows does this quite well!

Fixing that would help making things more dynamic also for themes.

Riccardo