Re: Consider GtkCore as UI

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Consider GtkCore as UI
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:03:25 +0100

Bruce,

bruce wrote:
> Gregory, respectfully, I’ve been trying gnustep for the last decade,
> waiting for it to be ready, and getting frustrated. During that time

The only thing that happens if you wait watching the water flowing of a
river is that in theory your enemy will pass along...
The only way to fix bugs is to report them and work on them. At least
know if other shave the same issue!
If nobody has your issue, it will never get solved by itself! Obvious,
isn't it?
I am working on gnustep for two decades... so I beat you. And I assure
you, it improved powerful.-----

> I’ve had 5 different computers, and used about 10 linux distros, and the
> place I find gnustep working tolerably is on freebsd-xfce. Not too many

I run it currently on dozen of systems, most various, from a Raspberry 3
to Sun Sparcstations and even Netra racks, BSDs and Linux, gcc and clang
runtimes, various graphics.

On most GNUstep applications (e.g. GWorkspace, Gorm, ProjectCenter) to
GAP applications no bad display bugs. I mostly use WindowMaker and too
use XFCE.

> artifacts, themes are working, but it still doesn’t integrate to the
> desktop - that’s a design issue , and I’m not asking you to change that,
> just consider an alternative.

I use XFCE, you can integrate quite decently with it regarding menus:
switch to in-window menus. Mini-windows can be disabled.
If you write your app, you can handle the no-main-window situation as
you prefer. There is a specific bug with copy&paste, but we are working
on it.

You can consider your alternative for your need, I don't need it: I am
fixing and improving what I have now.

> The artifact problems I refer to have been there all along, and I’ve
> talked on several forums to other users that run into them too. If no
> one on the project has ever noticed these issues, I don’t know what to say.

Since we have no official forums, it is elsewhere. You keep continuing
to be very generic. Best is if you can refer the bug to specific, public
application, else, a test app needs to be provided.

> I bring up the archaic menu and there are 2 camps - one says use
> WindowMaker, and the other longs for something more modern - so I’m
> suggesting that you can kill 2 birds with one stone by using
> CoreGTK.framework

You are free to kill any bird you want. I don't need kill any and you
have the freedom to use CoreGTK.framework for your needs! You can also
write a QT framework, a wayland backend... GNUstep core is divided in
libraries and bundles, use what you need.

Different is want me to follow your ideas.

Riccardo