Re: Applications Folder in the System Domain

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Applications Folder in the System Domain
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 16:43:04 +0200

> Am 23.05.2020 um 00:09 schrieb Patrick Cardona via Discussion list for the
> GNUstep programming environment <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>:
>
> Hi All GNUstep wisemen,
>
> As I can remember, there was an "Applications" folder where the apps
> installed in the System Domain could be found.
> But I find only this folder :
> /usr/share/GNUstep (see the joined screen)
> where the apps a melted with other kinds of folders.
>
> Is this the new way to organize the apps ? Or is there anything wrong
> in the raspbian/debian way to do it ?

The screenshot looks outright wrong to me. The fhs and debian layouts would
install all applications into a dedicated Applications directory that would be
located, along with the Bundles, Frameworks, etc. directories, in
/usr/lib/GNUstep (or /usr/local/lib/GNUstep). And of course all of the bundles
should appear in the Bundles directory and not at the top level. So it looks
like raspbian/debian is using some custom layout and eventually something is
also wrong with their installation process. You might try to check where
applications are supposed to be installed by running
  gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_APPS
and
  gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_LOCAL_APPS
in a terminal.

Wolfgang