Re: GNUstep app fails on Ubuntu 16

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: GNUstep app fails on Ubuntu 16
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 12:00:09 +0200

Hi Svetlana,

> I use GNUstep on the latest stable of Debian. Haven't compiled it previously,
> but here is a few uneducated guesses:
>
> Personally I would start from scratch, but not install ubuntu-desktop. This
> draws their Desktop Environment which Ubuntu uses by default (unity or gnome
> or something else that I don't remember). Would this be a possibility?

I could start from scratch. But I need to install something that gives me a GUI
login. I started with the Ubuntu server install. This got me a text login only.
I then did

        apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
        apt-get install wmaker

and chose Window Maker before logging in. I could remove ubuntu-desktop from
the system but I guess this gets me back to a text login!?

> Are you setting environment variables in bashrc? Something like
> <http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/gnustep-howto_4.html#Environment-Setup>.

I did

        cd
        pico .profile

and added the following line.

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

> Does the issue occur after reboot?

Yes! :-(

Thanks,

 Andreas