embedded python blocks inside hierarchical blocks

From: Achilleas Anastasopoulos
Subject: embedded python blocks inside hierarchical blocks
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:46:59 -0400

Hi all,

I noticed the following discrepancy between how 3.7 and 3.8 treat the above blocks:

When I generated a hierarchical block in 3.7 with an embedded python block in it, the generated code of the embedded python blocks (epy files) were copied to the .grc_gnuradio directory.

In 3.8 the generated epy files still reside in the directory of the original hierarchical block and are not copied to the .grc_gnuradio directory.
As a result, when executing a flowgraph that contains the hierarchical block I get the error:
----------
Executing: /usr/bin/python3 -u /n/girard/x/anastas/GNURADIO_LAB/projects/csma-arq/arq-fixed/TX/TX_ARQ.py

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/n/girard/x/anastas/GNURADIO_LAB/projects/csma-arq/arq-fixed/TX/TX_ARQ.py", line 27, in <module>
    from PHY_RX import PHY_RX  # grc-generated hier_block
  File "/n/girard/x/anastas/.grc_gnuradio/PHY_RX.py", line 24, in <module>
    import epy_check_packet
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'epy_check_packet'

I have to manually copy all the epy files to .grc_gnuradio every time I make changes to the embedded python blocks.

Is this an inadvertent mistake in 3.8 or the expected behavior?

thanks
Achilleas