Issue reporting and Pull Request rules?

From: Christophe Seguinot
Subject: Issue reporting and Pull Request rules?
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 23:59:24 +0100

Hi

As a regular user of GNURadio, I sometime trying to improve the code and made some PR. I came to these questions and observations :

I think It would be a good practice to encourage those reporting issues (and also posting email on this list) to clearly indicates which GR version(s) is (are) concerned. I don't remember having seen such recommendations on GNURadio Github.

And for those making PR, may be we need to propose or expose some rules.

I made a PR for another issue this evening, and was not really aware of what should be done since it concerned 3.8 3.9 and master. So I made 3 PR.

A related question: what is the real meaning of issue label "backport-3.8" ? does it means we must check if this issue is present in GR 3.8, or, something similar?

In case code modifications are light and identical or similar for both branches, is there a simpler methods than sending 3 PR ?

Once again, many thanks to the maintainers and Marcus for his (passed) Mainternership. Gnuradio is really becoming a great tool for SDR and radiocommunications

Regards, Christophe