Re: Messages into two blocks: Message order & timing guaranteed?

From: Lukas Haase
Subject: Re: Messages into two blocks: Message order & timing guaranteed?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 19:47:48 +0200

Hi Johannes,

Thanks.
It's not exactly a TDD system but I assume in terms of timing similar, yes.
In a TDD system I am most concerned that transmitted data is perfectly timed.
In my case, I need both, transmitted data and received data to be perfectly
time aligned with each other.
Think of my system more like RADAR: I send a pulse which is reflected and
receive the response. There is a static delay (USRP, cables, ...) that I want
to calibrate and a dynamic phase shift that I want to obtain.

I think I use timed transmissions already? :

I use set_start_time in both USRP Source & Sink so in general the data I
receive from USRP is perfectly aligned with the data that I transmit (up to a
constant delay). While this constant delay is constant over operation, it is
not constant over multiple power cycles and hence I have a block for
calibration. Currently it's super manual and just a QT Time Sink block where I
view the transmitted and received signal on the same screen. From there I can
easily read off the delay and insert a "Skip Samples" block on the received
data and have both perfectly aligned.

Again, this works well but is not reliable because I put the transmitted and
received data into the same block (QT Time Sink), causing the USRP be inside a
gnuradio loop. Since I know what I am transmitting, I could just clone the
block that generates the transmitted signal but the output of both blocks must
be identical.

I also need to clarify: The system is just so much more complicated and I tried
hard to break it to the essentials. The output of the Msg2Tag block are only
zeros because I am only interested in the tags! Before I send it into the USRP
there is another block that inserts data into the stream based on these tags
(which are precicely sample time controlled as opposed to messages).

Can you elaborate what you mean by timed transmission?

Thanks,
Lukas