Re: Gnuradio Interface to a Tuning Knob?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Gnuradio Interface to a Tuning Knob?
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 17:52:18 +0200

Hi everybody,

I think there's two things here:

1. writing something that handles the input device (from joysticks to pedals to midi devices)
2. using the inputs to change something in your GNU Radio program.

I think 1. might actually be rather doable these days, when staying in Qt. (MIDI devices might actually be a bit tricky, but I bet there's a program that converts MIDI events to xinput device events.) 2. might be a bit more tricky: it's easy if everything you want to control just takes every control command using asynchronous messages (like the USRP blocks do, for example). Then, all you have to do is have some kind of way of defining what messages to emit when a specific input happens. Sadly, not everything has message inputs for its functionality so far. PMT is really not helping the case, either, architecturally (kind of complicated to generate on the fly without writing code).

Best regards,
Marcus