Re: Which guarantees, if any, do messages provide?

From: Lukas Haase
Subject: Re: Which guarantees, if any, do messages provide?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 06:28:14 +0200

Hi Sylvain,

That was very useful, thanks.

I did some more experiments meanwhile and they seem to confirm what you are
saying: Messages come in at pretty much random times and in big bursts (despite
in order). For example, the messages of "Message Strobe" every 100ms (which is
a very long interval) arrive in bursts of three every 300ms. So I think these
messages are pretty much useless except for simple, nontime critical things.

I ended up building a "Message-to-Tag" block. It queues incoming messages and
inserts them as tags at predictable intervals.

That works well. However, now I have a stream of zeros (the block doesn't
output any data except tags) with a tag attached to a zero once every tens of
thousands of samples. Feels pretty wasteful. Is there really no better way?

Thanks,
Lukas