Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [RFC] PMT succession: experts' opinions on serial

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [RFC] PMT succession: experts' opinions on serialization libs
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 14:43:01 +0200

Hi,

> I'm very certain that flatbuffers does handle this correctly, yes.
> Haven't tried it, though. But "serialization library that doesn't deal
> with cross-platform" sounds bad, doesn't it?

You would think so yes, but it's not like it's un-heard of, especially
if the primary goal was performance and games where "All our relevant
targets are little endian" is probably a valid trade-off.

But in any case, after digging in a little, they explicitly state that
the on-the-wire representation is little endian for performance of the
most common CPU today, but it works on big endian at the cost of the
accessor needing to do the byte swapping.

Cheers,

   Sylvain