Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Installing an identd on DogFish

From: Robert Leverington
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Installing an identd on DogFish
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:58:49 +0000

On 2009-07-28, Tim Dobson wrote:
> Robert Leverington wrote:
>> Are there any objections to installing an identd on DogFish, several
>> members currently use it as an IRC client and this would help ensure
>> disruption would be minimal should a user be banned from a channel or
>> even a whole network?  Furthermore it is generally good practice on
>> multi-user systems.
>
> What IS it?

identd provides a way for external servers to identify which particular
user on DogFish is connecting to their server, so they don't have to
block the whole system.

> But if it's todo with IRC, I can't see any particularly issues from my
> point of view.

Seems to be generally accepted, will implement.

> Presumably the teamdogfish alias could be used for disussion of this
> nature.

Perhaps, but a lot of discussion might be relevant to both users and
roots.

> I'll try and get a real mailing list setup though ASAP if it'd be helpful..

I was thinking of just using dfey-general-discuss or whatever for it, as
the "core" members who it will be relevant to will be on it and people
just interested on happenings in their area won't.  But a mailing list
specifcally for DogFish would work well too I suppose.

--
Robert Leverington
http://rhl.me.uk/