Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] The website

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] The website
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 22:32:16 +0100

Rob Barry wrote:
I know that Tim wants to do a big overhaul of the website in the summer but I don't think that it should stop us right now from having a little nibble at the content.

Yeah I think we need to stop having a wiki as the front page, but that doesn't mean kill the wiki or stop adding content to the wiki at all. sounds good to me :)

We'll discuss this later anyway - there are several options but lets forget about the long distance future this for the moment.

I've updated the main page today (http://www.nw.dfey.org/wiki/Main_Page) with something that I think is a a little more interesting to the first time viewer and we've added an "About DFEY" page (http://www.nw.dfey.org/wiki/About). Feel free to edit as you see fit.

I think it'd be a nice idea for some of us to start some wiki pages with some 'essays' about digital freedom ideas... for instance clsmith has been discussing his views on decentralised mesh networks and how this could ultimately help protect people's rights from ISPs and the Government (by removing them from the equation). I think it would be nice to have some of this kind of content on here to get people thinking about what could be done.

I agree, though I wonder if there's anyway though we can reenforce these are people's points of view..... for instance - I think discussion is great but I don't know it would sound to anyone wanting to get involved...? I think there should be a very low barrier to getting involved with DFEY and once people are involved, they can learn why perhaps they should be doing some thing differently.. (in a friendly, fun environment).

The only "essay" with regards to DFEY that i know of is what i wrote here: http://www.blog.tdobson.net/node/249

I thought, considering how opinionated and personal to me it was, it wasnt really suitable for the wiki (I don't want to put it on the wiki and protect it because that seems egotistical and wrong).

I don't know what the answers to these problems are but hopefully some other people have opinions.. :)

Also, what *is* the wiki's content licence? ;) We need to sort this out sooner rather than later. :)

Would any off your guys be interesting in doing this kind of thing? I know Tim will be quite busy and many of us have exams but I think it'd be nice to move in thie direction.

I am stupidly busy at the moment. When I *start* my exams, my workload will decrease a bit haha. :)

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----