Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Northwest Vision and Media and digital talent

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Northwest Vision and Media and digital talent
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:39:14 +0000

Tim Dobson wrote:
Oh, I really recommend joining Manchester Digital if you are in the area, but contrary to what was stated you can get a free account without a .ac.uk email. If you are interested in finding out, let me know.

I probably should have explained this better.

If you are near Manchester (if you aren't it probably isn't worth joining)) then it is a really interesting thing to be part of. They are a trade association of small to medium sized businesses based in and around Manchester.

They are worried about talented young people leaving the northwest and heading for London, but in my opinion, they don't really have a clue what to do about it, though perhaps I am unnecessarily critical.

To become a memeber for free you need a .ac.uk email address which you get at most universities. If you are pre-university then, in my experience, you can still join for free.

In my case, I sent this email to address@hidden:

====

Hi,

I'm an active part of Manchester's digital community;
I helped setup DFEY, I help organise Manchester Free Software meetings, I go to BSD UG, meetings attend GeekUps, co-working days etc...

However, I am an AS level student, and therefore unfortunately don't have a .ac.uk email address necessary to join Manchester Digital as a student member.

As I assume that you aren't deliberately trying to discourage pre-university students to get involved, I wonder if we could work out an alternative way of verifying my educational status, so I can join Manchester Digital as a student member.

Thanks,

Tim

===

I was hoping for some sort of email conversation about how they wanted all young people interested in tech or at least somebody asking me to prove who I went to college.

Instead, they ignored me for several months, and then sent me a "Your Password has been reset" email with my username and password in it...

I think you could get away emailing them just the middle paragraph and the last paragraph, or perhaps just the middle paragraph and a paragraph why you want to be a member.

If anyone has any problems trying to become a student member of Manchester Digital, I would be very interested to hear about it.

Cheers,

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net