Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Fwd: [sf-uk-discuss] Re: Sad mis understanding

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Fwd: [sf-uk-discuss] Re: Sad mis understanding
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:59:00 +0000

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 18:38 +0000, Tim Dobson wrote:
> Andrew Williams wrote:
> > Trading Standards[1]:
> >
> > "If Mozilla permit the sale of copied versions of its software, it
> > makes it virtually impossible for us, from a practical point of view,
> > to enforce UK anti-piracy legislation, as it is difficult for us to
> > give general advice to businesses over what is/is not permitted."
>
> Shocking and hilarious at the same time, however if they have to give
> businesses better advice this can only be a better thing!
>
> > I've never had an issue with the usage of Linux, its just unfortunate
> > that most people see it as a inferior product as it doesn't come in a
> > box with a massive price tag. I mean, who would GIVE AWAY software
> > that was GOOD! </sarcasm>
> >
> > People forget that FOSS has a long way to go before it acheives
> > mainstream acceptance, Firefox has done wonders but people still don't
> > understand the OS part of FOSS :)
>
> I think you might be confusing several issues here a little because I
> don't think "mainstream acceptance" in one form is too far away.

Define mainstream. Consumer Desktop market? Certainly the big players in
the industry accept FOSS, name one of them that does no have some sort
of FOSS strategy. (Even Microsoft) Many businesses accept and use FOSS
but not necessarily desktop apps. 10 million downloads of OOo 3 must be
being used by someone. Masses of web servers, why did Sun buy MySQL?
Just don't get too hung up on consumer desktops as some sort of
touchstone. The number of desktop machines is a minority compared with
the number of computer devices overall. FOSS might never make it to the
mainstream desktop simply because the desktop paradigm shifts to the
web.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications