Re: percussion clef and change clef commands

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: percussion clef and change clef commands
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 08:45:07 +0100

On Sat, 2023-08-05 at 11:49 -0700, Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> 1 - I copied ALL of the notes/etc from AFTER the time signature
> 2 - I deleted the entire staff
> 3 - I added a new staff -- it seems the initial staff was already set
> to 'bass'
> > [...]
> > > And when attempting to change to Treble Clef,
> >
> > Do you mean to change the initial clef to a Treble Clef or to
> > insert a
> > clef change.
> > If the former, then this problem with the "Initial Clef" command
> > kicks
> > in - it doesn't know about Drum clef and makes a mess. You have to
> > use
> > Clef Chooser with the cursor at the start of the staff.
> > If the latter, that is uncharted territory ...

So from you pictures I gather it is the latter you are seeking to
achieve, i.e. change from percussion clef to a treble clef in the
course of the music. This is uncharted territory but:

The "Drum" option in the clef chooser not only sets the percussion clef
but also fixes the position of Middle C on the staff.
Instead use the "LilyPond" option from the Chooser and set the clef as
percussion (all lower case).
This then gives you the LilyPond percussion clef, which assigns the
middle line of the staff to Middle C. To make the display correspond to
this insert a Display Only Clef at the start of the music using the
command

Command: Display Only Clef
Inserts a clef that affects only the display, not the printed form. Use
this if, after a Change Staff, the staff the voice will be on is in a
different clef (avoiding too many ledger lines in the display, making
it hard to read). Also useful to display in a familiar clef music which
you want to be printed in a less familiar one (e.g. display in treble
or bass clef music to be printed for viola).
Location: Object Menu ▶ Clefs
Internal Name: SetDisplayClef

and choosing Alto clef (which has Middle C on the mid line of the
staff, so that matches LilyPond's percussion staff).

Then the note positions you enter will match those of the percussion
staff in the typeset.

HTH

Richard