Re: transposition tizzy

From: aaron mehl
Subject: Re: transposition tizzy
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 13:00:58 -0400

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On Aug 30 2020, at 12:22 pm, Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com> wrote:
On Sun, 2020-08-30 at 11:47 -0400, aaron mehl wrote:

Presumably you have an old version of Denemo - I looked up
"Transposition" in the index of the manual and it took me to 27.1
--------------------------
I guess you are right I must have installed it from the distribution instead of your site.

> btw it doen't mention that if you want to transpose a section select
> it.

yes, many commands have that as a feature (e.g. staccato I think)...

That sounds like a nightmare in the making - if you find a mistake in
one file you have to correct it in both.
-------------------------
usually you are right but here I have created gematrias (hebrew numerology) from on of the psalms and used the root of the digits leaving me a number from 1-9.
I am composing in d dorian, c major e phrygian, and a minor.
Instead of reentering the notes 4 times I want to transpose them in speperate files which I can use late at each mode change.
So I need extra files......

 Why not just transpose on
typesetting? You can even make the transposition conditional on an
omission criterion, so that it is omitted if you want to print without
transposition but included if you want to print with transposition -
then you can choose which way to print from the Print View itself,
using the Omission Criterion button to select which.
-------------------------
here I am only creating something akin to a tone row (modal) and will use it to build motives harmony counterpoint etc. I will need to copy and paste the hard notes.

> e.g
>
> Command: Arbitrary transpose down
> Transpose/shift the cursor note or selection an arbitrary number of
> tones down. User can specify interval through a dialog.
> Location: Object Menu ▶ _Notes/Rests ▶ Transpose Music
> Internal Name: ShiftRealDialogDown
>
> I am assuming this also works on a selection.

yes.

> is actually changing the notes you wrote in the first place while
>
> Command: Transpose on Print (Graphical Interface)
> Gets an interval from the user: the entire score is transposed by
> this
> interval on typesetting - key signatures are transposed as well as
> notes and chord symbols.
> Location: Object Menu ▶ _Score ▶ Typesetter
> Internal Name: TransposeOnPrint
>
> is changing the key that the piece will be typeset in.
> But still I don't see Dorian or phrygian  at all in denemo but it
> exists in lillypond

It is just a variation on the syntax with no effect on the typesetting,
so I think it has been dropped from the Denemo interface - you could
still emit that syntax if you wanted to.
So for me now the the note transposition on a selection will be the best it seems?
Thanks
Aaron