Re: XML anatomy

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: XML anatomy
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 09:08:49 +0000

On Thu, 2020-01-09 at 20:21 -0500, Bric wrote:
> > On January 9, 2020 at 4:19 AM Richard Shann < address@hidden.c
> > om> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 21:56 -0500, Bric wrote:
> > > In the denemo XML I am seeing the <rhythms>...</rhythms> section
> > > (no
> > > pun intended)  which contains three <rhythm... > ... </rhythm>
> > > nodes.  I can't figure out what this represents.
> >
> > [...]

> > If you are exploring the structure of Denemo's
> > file format with the idea that it might be useful in connection
> > with
> > creating MusicXML from Denemo then I think that wouldn't be
> > profitable

[...]
> Well, it is conceivable to me that someone codes an exporter at some
> point, which interprets both the xml elements /and/ the lilypond
> snippets sprinkled all throughout denemo xml, to generate a more
> homogeneous format..  Such as MusicXML, for instance, consisting
> *only* of markup.  But that, of course, looks like a monumental task
> at this point.

yes, but since to do that you would have to parse not only the Denemo
xml but also the LilyPond syntax you would be doing more work than just
parsing the final LilyPond syntax that Denemo generates, so no one
would do that, it would not be profitable.

> > The real question I guess though is "what is it that you are trying
> > do?" ...
>
> I'm trying to export/import out of curiosity and exploration mostly,
> but there are some practical reasons that compel me.  For example,
> i've been making do without swing playback in denemo (for many
> years), and just realized that MuseScore offers swing playback.
Generally, when people ask about MIDI playback I point them to the MIDI
that LilyPond generates (as heard in the View->Playback View) as it
handles more stuff than Denemo attempts. Have you checked if there is
an option to apply "swing" to the LilyPond MIDI - ask on their mailing
list.
But if it is *just* "swing" playback that you want - if Denemo's MIDI
is otherwise ok for you - then I think you could get there with a
little Denemo scripting.
For me to be able to help you do that I would need a much better
understanding of what you mean by swing playback. I'm guessing it means
lengthening (some?) some notes and shortening others in pairs? Perhaps
you could post Denemo scores of a few bars of music, one as normally
notated the other with the note durations altered so it plays back in
"swung" style?