Re: [Denemo-devel] Multiline text & Music

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Multiline text & Music
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 17:54:38 +0100

On Sun, 2018-09-16 at 21:59 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I just created a new test file of 4 bars of C crotchets.
> Then used Directives Markings  >> Text/Symbol >> Multiline Text &
> Music
> to add a comment on bar 2.
>
> I rapidly typed This is a test.
> A T appeared in the upper box and a Progress Window.

It's curious that you get a progress bar appearing, it could be a
windows effect, or just that my machine is quite quick.

> After 3 minutes I tried using the X to close the box, which did, but
> the
> Progress window is still running while I have opened this mail
> client
> and written this message.
> There seems to be something wrong here, but I cannot see what.

If only you knew what shenanigans were going on behind the scenes -
every time you type a character Denemo creates a (tiny) LilyPond score
comprising \markup {the text you wrote so far} or some such and starts
up a process to generate a PDF from that (ie it runs LilyPond), when
the LilyPond process finishes Denemo reads the PDF generated and
displays it in the pane above where you are typing. Then it looks to
see if you have typed anything more and, if so, it re-starts
typesetting it. If you type too quickly you will create a certain
amount of silicon indigestion, but you should always be able to click
the Preview button to get the typeset version of what you have written
updated.
The progress bar is just an annoyance here - just kill it or leave it
to its own devices - it doesn't actually mean anything, other than some
sort of race has occurred between checking on whether LilyPond has
finished and further typing (or something)...
The most important thing is to click on Preview to make sure that what
you have typed is valid LilyPond markup syntax.

 Once hell has frozen over, I'll probably get round to sorting it out
:)