Re: [Denemo-devel] Playback asynchronous

From: Andreas Schneider
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Playback asynchronous
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 10:10:55 +0200

Am 12.08.2017 um 20:33 schrieb Richard Shann:
> On Sat, 2017-08-12 at 19:07 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>> Working on a score in which some measures are still without notes, I
>> encounter an asynchronous playback, i.e. during playback some staffs lag
>> one measure behind the others. This is illustrated in the attached
>> screenshot. Notes from one measure sound together with notes from the
>> next measure from other staffs, which is not so good for checking it.
>
> The problem is that the first measure is not empty - it contains the
> repeat start directive, so it is *not* filled with a space, as Denemo
> does not know what that directive is doing. Empty measures must be truly
> empty if you want Denemo to tacitly insert a whole measure rest. If you
> put a whole measure rest in the first measure, all is well.

What does that mean in general? That Denemo plays back as the music is
exported, e.g., to lilypond? I had expected Denemo to play back as shown
in the editor, not taking into account directives that might skip or
fill anything for the print output. Moreover, as Joe showed, the
playback can also be brought out of sync by incomplete measures. This
may not be what an average user expects, but is in accordance to how
such music is shown in the print output. That behaviour can also be
handy, e.g. for ancient music where notes may extend into the next
"measure", resulting in an overfull and a following underfull measure in
the Denemo editor, but a correctly typeset score in the print and a
correctly sounding playback. The question is: Which behaviour is best
for the majority of use cases?

Andreas