Re: [Denemo-devel] Playback asynchronous

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Playback asynchronous
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 08:55:07 +0100

On Sat, 2017-08-12 at 19:06 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> This file will do it.
>
> I created top line, then bottom, then middle.
>
> With whole bars empty it played normally. Then deleted a minim in
> middle staff, bar 2.
>
> Middle staff now plays back async with rest.

That's a different mistake: thinking that the Denemo "bars" are anything
much more than convenient chunks for Denemo to display. The typesetting
always ignores the Denemo "barlines" except for completely blank
measures when Denemo inserts a whole measure rest. By leaving one
measure incomplete you will get both the Print View and the Playback
messed up - "async". For Andreas's case he is leaving a whole measure
blank, which the Manual explains Denemo kindly fills in with a whole
measure rest. (Except the first measure wasn't truly blank, there was a
Denemo Directive in it).

In my previous reply I was forgetting that a while back I upgraded
Denemo to also fill in "nearly blank" display bars. That is, Denemo
inserts a whole measure rest now so long as an (internal) count of
"ticks" is zero for the bar. So an enhancement/bug would be to do this
for MIDI as well. I've logged this in the bug tracker.