Re: [Denemo-devel] 2.1 chokes on migrating my 2.0.14 profile

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 2.1 chokes on migrating my 2.0.14 profile
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:03:02 +0100

On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 00:13 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 19:51:44 +0100, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Oh, I understand. 2.1 has the upgrade bug,
> > This was in the release notes:
> >
> > Known issues for this release:
> >    Update keeping preferences is broken, use version 2.1.1 for this.
> >
> > Use the latest from Git, I never break it.
>
> Sorry to disappoint... This is the git version (commit
> c821a0968b7e54daeb7457c93dc87ffffa66ea91) with ~/.denemo-2.1 removed and
> the problematic ~/.denemo-2.0.14 reinstalled:
>
> % denemo
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
> discouraged. Denemo - MESSAGE : Loading preference
> file: /home/jv/.denemo-2.0.14/denemorc Denemo - MESSAGE : Audio driver is
> 'portaudio' Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing Fluidsynth
> fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is
> possible. Denemo - MESSAGE : The default fluidsynth soundfont has been
> loaded Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing Rubberband
> Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing PortAudio backend
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
> ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
> ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
> ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
> ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server request channel
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
> Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening output device 'ALSA: pulse'
> Denemo - MESSAGE : MIDI driver is 'portmidi'
> Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing PortMidi backend
> Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening input device 'ALSA: Q25 MIDI 1'
> Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening output device 'ALSA: Midi Through Port-0'
> Denemo - MESSAGE : Denemo version 2.1.3
> Denemo - MESSAGE : Loaded keymap /usr/share/denemo/actions/Default.commands
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> Exit 139

You're right, even the newest versions cannot achieve the upgrade. The
problem arises with local Default.commands files created with (some?)
old versions. The workaround is to delete
~/.denemo-xxx/actions/Default.commands before doing the upgrade and then
re-instating custom commands via the More Commands menu item.
(Which is what you did. The alternative is to add the leading slash to
all the path names in <menupath>....</menupath> where they are missing
in Default.commands. It is the lack of the leading / that is causing the
crash.)

Thanks for helping nail this.