Re: [Denemo-devel] SharpEye, PhotoScore, and Denemo

From: lewis . r0516
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] SharpEye, PhotoScore, and Denemo
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:07:19 -0400

Hello Richard --

On December 15, 2016 09:11:22 AM Richard Shann wrote:
> > Hello --
> > Does anyone have any experience scanning a pdf using either
> > SharpEye[1] or
> > PhotoScore[2], and then importing the MusicXML
>
> Use the MusicXML route, not MIDI (MIDI simply does not store the
> information that has been scanned - e.g. e-flat or d-sharp ...)
>
> >  or MIDI file into Denemo?  I
> >
> > would appreciate any comments or recommendations before I try their
> > 30-day free trial.  Thank you.
>
> The times that I have tried Music OCR I have always concluded that it
> involves more work than transcribing from a PDF (I create a PDF from the
> image of the score if needed - even if it is on paper, going down to the
> copy shop and getting them to scan the pages to a file is worth it).
>
> The reason has been that the error rate in the Music OCR means you have
> to learn to correct errors, and I've always estimated that spotting and
> correcting errors (even once the hurdle of learning how to use the
> program to correct the errors has been surpassed) was going to exceed
> the time needed to enter the music from the PDF. That estimate is based
> on the use of rhythm-pattern/MIDI keyboard entry that Denemo allows.
> Once learnt, this method approaches 2 * (real time per part). As a
> bonus, this method is rather pleasant - you get to hear the music, and
> practice its rhythm and your sight-reading skills. Spotting and
> correcting errors, by contrast, is tedious as is entering notes by
> typing their names and durations.
>
> If the playing-in would involve an investment in learning to play a MIDI
> keyboard (or other MIDI-enhanced instrument) then the trade-off might be
> different.
>
> HTH
>
> Richard

Thank you for your comments.  I've been transcribing PDFs and was just
wondering if an OCR programme might speed things up -- and justify the cost.
I'm very happy with Denemo, and want to thank you and all the other developers
for the work you do.

> p.s. Your email didn't reach the mailing list (yet?) - I'm not sure why.
> If you subscribe it will arrive automatically - you can elect not to
> receive mailings if you want that.

I don't know why my original e-mail hasn't showed up either.  I sent it after
subscribing to the list.  The Mail delivery option is set to enabled.

Regards,
Robert